Show passwordHide password

Log in

Do you really want to create a new entry?

Offices and unitsDemographicsPartiesRegionsSettlementsPlacesPeopleArticles

Create new

Glenn Springs



16th CENT

Juan Pardo, a Spanish colonizer, established colonies in what is today South Carolina and North Carolina. The Pardo Stone found in Spartanburg County was dated .

Indigenous groups knew of the area, then a marshland, as a deer lick where deer would congregate.

At this time, early settlers noticed that many roads converged to the springs, which were not known yet. Instead, the area was known Powder Marsh or Sulphur Swamp because of the smell. The marsh was popular with hunters for the deer it attracted, and runaway cattle would frequently be found here.


Amid the Revolutionary War, outbreaks of scabies became common, caused by infection with a mite. Upon returning to their households, soldiers would spread scabies to their relatives. It became a widespread and irritating issue.

Late 18th CENT

A local family discovered that the springs cured their scabies. Locals dug hole in the marshland for bathing. It was recognized that the water here had a curative effect on dermatological illnesses.


A dry spell dried up the marshes and revealed a spring of clear, clean water. When the spring itself was located, the settlers began drinking from it as well.

At some point, Governor David Johnson, who lived - , bought the land upon which the springs and Powder Marsh were located for nothing more than an old horse, then later sold it for $400.

John B. Glenn bought the land.


As the springs became more famous, John B. Glenn could not afford to build, so he sold it to a corporation of developers including: Dr. Morris Moore, Dr. Winsmith, Dr. A. B. Irvine, Dr. Vanlew, Dr. Thorne, Davis Caldwell, Robert Moorman, Geo. Ashford, Knight Sims, Wm. Peanot, Morgan Houson, Saml. Brown, J. B. Glenn himself, and others.

Hotel built by permission of the Legislature.

Hotel opened.

and )

Legislature would sometimes convene here, and some important legislation was drafted at the hotel.

Despite a growing reputation, the springs were unfortunately not a financial success.


John C. Zimmerman bought it and made it successful financially for ten years.


J. C. Zimmerman sold the springs to the Revs. Mr. Arthur and McCollough, for the purpose of opening a female college, but in this they did not succeed according to their anticipations. People wanted to come to it as a health resort.

Opened to the public by Mr. J. C. Janney, of Columbia, and others, until the war.


Little is known from this period.

After the war it was opened by the Messrs. Fowler.

By 1877

Now owned and open to the public by Dr. J. W. Simpson and J. Wistar Simpson, of Laurens, who moved to it for the benefit of their health.


Very popular and busy.

~ - ~

Popular attention shifted to the sea and mountains.


The hotel was experience an increase again, and dances continued.


Great Depression.

Abandoned hotel burns down.




1841, runaway slave

1844, Glenn Springs proprietor J Zimmerman

Purchase by Zimmerman,


John C. Zimmerman, rs. Mary Murpy, Patsey Glenn, and Wm. J. T. Glenn. — Bill for Partition.

By order of the Court of Equity, passed June Term, 1844, will be sold, on the premises, twelve miles South East from Spartanburg C. H., on the 21st of August next, the Glenn Springs, containing one thousand and nineteen acres of land, more or less. On the premises are a large Hotel, sufficient to entertain near two hundred persons, and several neat cottages, besides every other building necessary to render it in every way suitable as a Watering Place as which its reputation is too well known to need description.

On the day of sale, the papers necessary to bind the contract, secured by mortgage, and personal security must be executed; possession however will not be given until the 1st day of January next; then the purchaser will be required to pay one fifth of the purchase money down, the balance to be paid in five equal annual installments, with interest from the date.

T. O. P. VERNON, C. F. S. D.

July 17

, The Charleston Mercury

1844, season rates

1847, in-depth writeup about hotel





1848, Joseph Glenn killed Major Adam S. Camp

Atrocious murder

1848, detailed writeup on hotel

1848, holiday rates for season


Listing the property for sale,


Tutor request,

1849, death of J L Pezant

1850, mention of route here





1852, Glenn Springs Railroad Convention

1852, season promotion



1853, possible mention of Glenn Springs catholicon

1853, season promotion

1853, chemical composition of waters

1853, mention of sale to Episcopal Church

1857, cavalry muster

1857, someone stole a mare

1857, a negative review

1859, a tornado passed through

1859, very colorful description of a ball

1860, season rates

1860, mention of season rates

1870, grand tournament

1873, a provincial hotel

1874, road words

1874, ball at hotel

1874, correspondence about hotel

1874, stolen horses returned after a shootout

1874, bowling alley collapses

1874, calico ball

1875, busy season

1875, Black/White demographic change

1875, possible mention of Zimmerman social event

1877, a glowing review

A history about the springs and hotel,

[From the Journal of Commerce.]

Glenn Springs.


Those of your readers who are beginning to cast about for some place of rest and shelter during the hot months which are approaching, will be pleased to know that this celebrated watering place is now open for the season.

Glenn Springs is situated on a high ridge, dividing the Fair Forest and North Tiger rivers, ninety miles rather northwest of Columbia, within five miles of the Spartanburg, Union and Columbia Railroad, and twelve miles south of the town of Spartanburg. It is accessible more conveniently by back from Spartanburg C. H., by a pleasant and picturesque drive of less than two hours. Professor Toumey, in his geographical survey of the State, speaking of this route, says: Between Spartanburg and Glenn Springs the Fair Forest has scooped out a channel in the Gneiss rock, at the foot of a hill, forming a wild and picturesque little view. Gneiss is also well exposed at the quiet and pretty spot called Cedar Springs, now an asylum for the dumb, deaf and blind, where a bold spring of water water issues from a fissure in the rock.

Glenn Springs is classed by Professor Walter, in his work on mineral springs, among the Sulphur Springs. But the analysis by Dr. C. U. Shepherd, of the Charleston College, shows it to contain besides sulphuretted hydrogen, sulphate of magnesia, carbonate of lime, and sulphate of lime, and is, therefore, both alkaline and saline, and hence the very large class of diseases which it benefits and cures. Indeed, there is scarcely an ailment, except well developed tubucular consumption and that in the last stages, which it does not benefit.

Tradition says that in the year 1764, over a century ago, when the wild deer, and other denizens of the forest, were plentiful in the District of Spartanburg, old hunters observed trails converging from all points of the compass to a certain marshy cove at the base of a hill, where this celebrated spring is now situated. To this marsh these wild animals were in the habit, in the spring time and summer, of resorting, to drink the water which run from it, and many an antlered buck has lost his life in caring for his health. After the time of the deer and the buffalo, the cattle of the early settlers had the same resort, and when lost from distant sections, they were almost always found at what was then called the powder marsh. The early settlers observing this fact, scooped out holes in the marsh for the water to fill up, and used them as bathing places for their children and, indeed, all who had any eruptive disease; and for years and years it was regarded as a sovereign remedy for complaints of this character. An old gentleman, of some sixty years or more, now living in this vicinity, informed me that when a child he was bathed in a little puddle below the spring, for some eruption, he said the itch, which it effectually cured. At that early age the spring was not found, and the water was only used for bathing purposes. Subsequently, however, the spring was discovered, and the people began to imitate the example of their cattle, and commenced drinking the water, which they found, if possible, more efficacious than bathing in it.

It is said that Chancellor David Johnson, many years ago, bought the tract of land upon which the spring is located, giving for it an old horse, and afterwards sold it for a profit of four hundred dollars — a good large profit, but not equal to fifteen thousand dollars, which it subsequently brought.

About 183—, after the spring had attained something more than a local notoriety, Mr. John B. Glenn, of Union County, while on a visit to his brother-in-law, Mr. Austin Spands, who then owned the property, hearing of its wonderful cures, bought an interest in it, and moved up for the benefit of the health of his wife. They were childless and had been for years, but after one season, Mrs. Glenn’s health improved most rapidly, and she became the mother of a bouncing boy, who still lives in the neighborhood, a standing monument of the virtue of Glenn Spring water. After this, the fame of the spring extended far and near, and a great many persons resorted to it for their health. Cabins were built all over the place, and yet there was not room enough to accommodate the people. Mr. Glenn was unable to build, and he was induced to sell out to a company of gentlemen, consisting of Dr. Morris Moore, Dr. Winsmith, Dr. A. B. Irvine, Dr. Vanlew, Dr. Thorne, Davis Caldwell, Robert Moorman, Geo. Ashford, Knight Sims, Wm. Peanot, Morgan Houson, Saml. Brown, J. B. Glenn, and some others, whom my informant does not now remember. These gentlemen obtained a charter from the Legislature, and in the year built the present hotel and eight cottages in the lawn.

The main body of the house is sixty feet square, three stories and a half high, with three wings fifty feet each, two stories and a half high. The rooms are ample and well arranged. There is a fifty feet dining hall room and parlor, besides billiard room, card room, reading rooms and reception room, and there are six rooms in each of the eight cottages. Upon the completion of the hotel, there was a grand opening, and at once it became the fashionable resort of the State. Many resorted to it for pleasure, but many more for their health. Even committees of the Legislature made it a place of meeting in the interval, and the celebrated acts of the Legislature of and , defining the duties and liabilities of the district officers, not keounty, when peculation and fraud were unknown, were drafted here, and here many of the chancellors drafted their most important decrees.

Under the management, however, of this company of distinguished gentlemen, it did not prove a financial success, and in a few years it became the property of Mr. John C. Zimmerman, who managed it successfully and satisfactorily for some ten years, and year by year it became more celebrated. During this time Dr. M. Laborde, of the South Carolina College, says of it: One of the best watering places in the Southern country is situated in Spartanburg District — I mean Glenn Springs. This has been a place of great resort for the people of the State, and has acquired a well merited celebrity. Many of the most distinguished gentlemen of South Carolina who have spent seasons at the Virginia Springs and Saratoga, have pronounced it fully equal to these world renowned places.

In Mr. Zimmerman sold it to the Revs. Mr. Arthur and McCollough, for the purpose of opening a female college, but in this they did not succeed according to their anticipations. Besides, the people clamored for it as a resort for health, and it was again opened to the public by Mr. J. C. Janney, fo Columbia, and others, until the war. After the war it was opened by the Messrs. Fowler, and is now owned and open to the public by Dr. J. W. Simpson and J. Wistar Simpson, of Laurens, who moved to it for the benefit of their health.

These gentleman are improving and fitting up the house and grounds, and hope to make it, as in ante-bellum days, a place where the good people of the State can meet together during the summer months and talk over their troubles of the past, their deliverance from carpet-baggers and corruption, and their bright and glorious prospects for the future, under Hampton, honesty, and home rule. So mote it be.


, The Newberry Weekly Herald

[Note: Does keounty mean county instead? So mote it be is a phrase used by Freemasons. Also, not sure why it is signed INVALID at the end.]

It was reproduced in several local publications,

1878, killing near Glenn Springs

1879, social mention

1887, detailed writeup

A detailed writeup including illustrations of cottages,



Its History from its Discovery, with Personal Sketches of Its Habitues.


The cygnet finds the water, but the man
Is born in ignorance of his element,
And feels out blind at first, disorganized
By sin i’ the blood, — his spirit-insight dulled
And crossed by his sensations. Presently
He feels it quicken in the dark sometimes;
Then mark, be reverent, be obedient,—
For such dumb motions of imperfect life
Are oracles of vital Deity
Attesting the Hereafter.

It is an idea of some French writer that the constitution of mineral waters is analogues to that of the serum of the blood. Such a speculation is authorized, if not sustained by watching the reviving effects of mineral waters on the human system. To draw a strict line of demarcation between ordinary and mineral water is scarcely possible. The Excess of mineral constituents or temperature are often so undefined, that it is only by the therapeutic action, they can at all be classified.

The water of Glenn Springs is as pronounced in its effects on the body as that of any Spa in the United States, and the appropriate sphere of this water in the treatment of chronic diseases, and its tonic properties in nervous prostration, etc., are thoroughly recognized by the medical men of South Carolina, and the adjoining States. Its local reputation has long been established, and, despite the fact of its lying far int he interior of the State and off the direct line of railroads, it is every year increasing in popularity and patronage. The late Dr. John Darby, in a private letter written whilst he was Professor in the University of New York, said: I use it frequently in my private practice here, by sending special orders for it. If it were on drouth or in bottles in the city, as other mineral waters are, I would introduce it to general notice. In certain disorders it is invaluable.

Its therapeutic action in cases of dyspepsia, diabetes, gravel, inflammation of the bladder, dropsy, jaundice, anœmia after fevers, from enlargement of the spleen, etc., chronic diarrhœa, diseases of the skin, nervous affections and a whole category of female complaints, is markedly beneficial; in many instances suffers having been, through the use of the water, restored to perfect health.

The climate is good, the country undulating, and the county town of Spartanburg only twelve miles distant; the State Asylum for Mutes and Blind; the pretty gorge of Golightly Falls, are all pleasant drives to receive the visitors from monotony.

Those persons who are in the advanced stages of phthisic find the water fatal; it accelerates the course of the disease by acting specifically on the bowels, the patient becomes rapidly exhausted. Whenever a confirmed consumptive chances to visit Glenn’s Spring the proprietors advise them not to taste the water.

It has been an interesting task to trace the history o this spring back to its discovery. The first settlers of this portion of the backwoods of South Carolina found the spot a quagmire, and known to the Indians as a deer lick. it was soon noticeable to them, too, that the cows loved to browse around it, and lap the water that settled here and there amid the black mud in little pools. From the peculiar smell pervaded the mud, it came to be designated as the Sulphur Swamp.

This section then belonged to North Carolina, and was in Mecklenburg County. For many years after the State lines were established it was known as the New Acquisition. We find it constantly so called int he Documentary History of the Revolution. Late Ron it took the name of Ninety-Six District, but finally the quagmire fell into the lower edge of a county laid off and named Spartanburg.

The curative qualities of the spot were revealed by a commonplace accident. During the Revolutionary war, from the unavoidable filth of camp life, scabbies, or as it is vulgarly termed, the itch, was the plague of the rank and file of the American army. After the war, the irritating disease stuck closer than a brother, and returning soldiers infected their families. A man living in the neighborhood of the Sulphur Swamp, with a round dozen quivers in his bows, had every one broken out with scabbies. One day the cows did not come. At milking time, one of the boys of this family going out to look them up, found them in the quagmire. In getting them out, he fell in, and came home covered up the the neck in the black ill smelling mud. It was a lucky souse, for in a few days he found himself entirely well of the hateful itch. The father must have been a man of thought, for he took the cue, marched the whole family up to the swamp for a mud bath, and the result was they were all healed. True, some of them, had to dip more than once, but finally all were cured. Of course such good luck was told from one to another, and the place was resorted to by the counter folks for miles around, and used for mud baths, but those affected with skin diseases.

A long dry spell of weather in 1800, or thereabouts, dried up the Sulphur Swamp, and revealed at its edge a clear, running spring. Many free stone fountains were dried up at their sources, and a family living near the spring were glad to use the water. It had a queer taste, and curdled when soap was put in it, yet they felt assured that it was good to drink and soon grew to like the peculiar flavor belonging to it. Other water, after drinking from the new spring, seemed to lack seasoning. It came to pass, therefore, even after the drought was broken, and other springs were convenient, the family would often prefer the water of this spring. A dropsical old kinsman visited them, and it was suggested that the queer tasting water might help him. Its action on kidneys and skin was unmistable [unmistakable?], and in a few weeks he was convinced that the use of the water had benefitted him. He continued to drink it, until he was restored to health.

From this, the first cure made by Glenn Springs water, until know, each year individual cases have shown conclusively the recuperative properties belonging to it. And many sufferers gratefully acknowledge the benefits received from its use.

The tract of land, then comprising a thousand acres, on which the spring is situated, was sold early in this century for three hundred dollars. An old Baptist preacher, Mr. Johnson, was considered, in getting that price, to have made a sale. Somewhere between 1815-20 a Mr. James P. Means built a two-storied frame house on a hill near the mineral spring. Strange to say, part of this house is still in use. The water was sufficiently known as a curative agency to create a demand for a boarding house in the neighborhood, and he had at all times under his roof some visitors using the water for their health’s sake. Mr. Means sold the place in 1825-26 to Mr. John B. Glenn. The tract of land belonging to the spring was now reduced to less than five hundred acres, for which he paid eight hundred dollars. Up to this time it had been called the Powder Spring, the order of the water, from the presence of sulphuretted hydrogen, being similar to that of water which had been used to wash out a gun. Now, that its use had grown into popular favor, Mr. Glenn enlarged his house, and opened a regular inn for the travelling public. He was a man much beloved by all who knew him, and finally the mineral spring took his name, and has ever since been definitely known as Glenn’s Spring.

The capacity of his hotel did not at all meet the demands of the public, and Mr. Glenn built a number of log cabins on the hillside, leading to the spring, to rent to families. Gentlemen, from the adjoining districts by permission, built cabins for their own use, and Glenn's Spring came to be the summer resort of many prominent up country families.

Let us make a seeming digression, to say something of these people who first brought Glenn's Spring into general and permanent popularity:

For many years the stamp of their individuality was recognizable on the company who congregated there. Among these early habitues of Glenn's Spring are the Sims and Sheltons, representative fox hunting squires, such as Fielding painting. Farnandis and Norris, sparkling wits, even if it was scimitar edged at times, its very brilliancy restored good humor; Dr. Maurice A. Moore; a Sir Roger de Coverly, who clung to the ruffle shirt and courtly bows of an old school gentleman; Gist, Nuckolls, Clowney, Rogers, consecutively representatives from the First District in Congress; Williams of Laurens; Rice of Union; the Smiths and Bobos of Spartanburg; Irvine of Greenville; Moorman, Pierson and McLmore of Newberry, are the names fo the first drinkers of the medicine waters. Shadows flitting across the face of the camera, so ghost-like, we cannot print their pictures here. Enough to say: they were men and women of the old South.

It was in the summer of , that fifteen gentlemen, then at Glenn Springs, conceived the idea of forming a stock company to buy the property of Mr. Glenn, and build a fine hotel.

It was during also this year that Dr. McMahon, of Union County, quite a young man, fell into ill health. His father was a man of wealth, and the son at once consulted the best physicians in the State. Finding himself growing steadily worse, he went to New York and Philadelphia, and had the opinion of the most eminent medical men in the United States. All gave the same diagnosis. His heart was incurably diseased, and they advised him to return home and accept the inevitable. His father, to soothe the declining days of the young man, put servant, horses and carriage at his command. The invalid went to Limestone Spring, then a popular summer resort. Whilst there, some one advise [sic, someone advised] him to go to Glenn Springs, and try the mineral water for his case. The drowning man catches at a straw; he went immediately to Glenn Springs, and began to drink the water. In ten days he felt that he was more comfortable than he had been in months. At the end of a month he could walk several hundred yards. He went home to let his father see his improvement, but returned in a short while, and remained, steadily drinking the water for five months. At the end fo this time he felt himself perfectly restored to health; he entered on the active life of a country doctor, and continued in this career until an advanced age, without any return of the disease that had so seriously menaced him an early death.

It was this notable cure, which formulated the idea of a stock company into a reality. The charter was obtained in under the name of The Glenn's Spring Company; Dr. Maurice A. Moore, President. They gave Mr. Glenn fifteen thousand dollars for the property, and at once got a plan for a hotel. The specifications called for the best heart pine, pest oak and poplar materials.

You have heard of the wonderful one-hoss shay
That was built in such a logical way
It ran a hundred years to the day

It was on this plan that the Glenn's Spring Hotel was built.

The strongest oak,
That couldn't be split nor bent, nor broke.
The floor was just as strong as the sills,
And the panels just as strong as the floor.

The main body of the house was to be sixty feet square, three stories and a half high, ceilings twelve and ten feet in height. Three wings, two stories in height, fifty feet in length. Dining room, drawing room and ballroom, fifty feet each. Mr. Murray, a notable landscape gardener, was employed to lay out the grounds and set out forest trees. The old man laid out the money of the company so rapidly that they were fain to stop him before he half carried out his ideas. But the beautiful trees now growing in the campus, shading the cottages and walks, were planted under his supervision. Handsome furniture was ordered from New York for parlor, dining room and card rooms. A fine meat and pastry cook was secured, and a string band employed. The company determined that all the auspices of this establishment should be in fine style. July, 1838, the new hotel was opened. The public showed its appreciation by giving a liberal patronage. Traveling was then done on dirt roads; private vehicles and public stages constantly rolled up to the door, bringing loads of visitors to Glenn's Spring. July, August, and part of September, the house was full, and often crowded. The season, however, was too short, and the expenditures had been too lavish for pecuniary success, and after about five brilliant social seasons at the Spa, the company found themselves well nigh insolvent, and the property was bought by Mr. Murph and his nephew, Mr. John C. Zimmerman. The latter gentleman was four years the popular and successful proprietor of Glenn's Spring. He sold it in 1853: since then it has changed hands several time[s], until it was bought by the present owners. These gentlemen have shown no small amount of energy and ability in the management of the place, and, since Glenn's Spring has fallen into their hands, have done much to restore it to its old standard as a popular and pleasant summer resort. Belonging themselves to an old an[d] influential family, first rate people are naturally attracted to a health resort over which they preside. Their gentlemanly demeanor and honorable dealings compel the respect of all who sojourn under their roof. In harrying over the outlines of the history of our Spa, we have omitted individual sketches, without which the story of the old watering place would be incomplete.

There were from the opening season of up to the war in , many men, frequenters of Glenn's Spring, who made the history of South Carolina. In ante bellum days the Constitution of the State did not allow its Chief Executive during his term of office to leave the State, and the Governor was glad to fix for several weeks each summer, and often for the whole season, his headquarters at Glenn's Spring. Judges, United States Senators and Representatives, congregated there, and some important decisions of the Supreme Court were written out in its precincts, and more than one State paper of importance drafted in the shadow of its walls.

Slowly walking up and down the campus, in the times of which we speak, summer after summer, was to be seen the tall, wasted form of Chancellor Harper, the beautiful integrity of whose private life adorned the office which he filled. Every one recognized Judge Harper as a truly great man. His legal opinions were quoted in English and European courts; and it was his strong intellect that coined from the inalienable sovereignty of the States, the doctrine of the right of secession. Calhoun grasped the idea, and became the earnest apostle of the new political creed, thereby forfeiting all hope of national honors.

Col. William C Preston, the silver-tongued orator, was a brother-in-law of Harper's and always a strong Union man. After leaving the United States Senate he was made President of the South Carolina College. He always spent a part of his summers at Glenn's Spring. He used to say, that in spite of his partiality for his native Virginia, he was forced to admit that no waters of the Old Dominion built up his broken down nerve force as the waters of Glenn's Spring.

Judges Butler, Huger, Cheves, De-Saussure, the Johnson, both Chancellor and Judge, Elmore, Seabrook, Hayne, Laborde, Barnwell, Pickens, O'Neale, men of all shades of thought and profession, came to drink and be healed. Ah! gentlemen! Said Col. Preston. Think you not Ponce de Leon made a mistake in his bearings; had he come up higher he might have found here the water for which he searched?

It was in that the survivors of the Palmetto regiment, heroes of Monterey and Resaca de la Palma, came to recruit from wounds and the effects of the hardships of the Mexican War. Gladden, Eves, Cary, Styles, Brooks and others, carried off the honors, petted and admired by all; any civilian was thrown over mercilessly to give a dance to one of the Mexican Volunteers.

Col. Brooks used to tell a good thing on himself. It occurred that summer. We all know that invalids claim a sort of heroism from their weakness, and the common run of sick men, give them half a chance will tell the minutiæ of their case to any listener. Col. Brooks said that he rode up to the Spring one day, a young man who stood by, sprang forward, assisted him out of his carriage, helped him into the pavilion, handed him water, and kindly remarked, You seem very feeble, sir! So much interest from a stranger opened the flood gates, and Col. Brooks incontinently entered on the history of his case. For a while a respectful, sympathetic interest was kept, but the recital grew exhaustive. — it, sir! you are used up generally! interjected the gentle stranger. The diagnosis was a true one; Col. Brooks bought a summer place near Glenn's Spring and his fragile form for years pointed the tale, when he told it.

No story is complete without a woman, and the annals of Glenn['s] Springs have two, Mrs. Bacon and Mrs. Farnandis; any sketch of the place would be very faulty were they not introduced. Mrs. Bacon was the widow of Judge Lanstreet's famous delineation Ned Brace. In she was brought on a bed to Glenn Springs. Her stomach was intolerant of all food, to such a degree was she reduced, that she was fearfully weak and emaciated. At first, a teaspoonful of water was as much as she could retain. For days a larger dose would nauseate her intensely, but by the end of a month, she could quaff off, and retain two or more tumblersfull in succession. By the end of the season she could walk up and down the steep hill to the Spring, and eat what she chose. For the rest of her life, thirty years, (she lived to be ninety) she kept well; she came however, every summer for a month to Glenn Springs, drinking the water she said, to insure herself against a return of dyspepsia.

Mrs. Farnandis, 'Aunt Sally,' as she was long called, was one of the landmarks of Glenn's Spring. The first summer the hotel was opened she was there the whole season, and came unfailingly every year afterward until the opening of our civil war. Soon after her marriage, whilst still a young, pretty woman, she had a fall, from which she received internal injuries which never healed. Glenn's Spring water, whilst it could not sure made her very much more comfortable. Warm hearted and generous-natured, entering into the joys and sorrows of all around, untiring in kindness, cheerful in affliction, she was for years the central figure at the watering place.

No one of the therapeutic effects of the water is more valuable than the tonic properties, that enable the steady drinker of alcoholic liquors to give up his accustomed stimulant without letting down his nervous system. Men whose condition, when away from the effects of the water, seems to demand the moderate use of stimulants, can, while drinking the Glenn's Spring water, not feel at all the need of their toddy. It is said that the economy of the universe supplies for every curse a blessing; for every poison is an antidote. It is certain that any man who desires to quit the habitual use of stimulants may do so by spending a summer at Glenn's Spring, and drinking freely of the mineral water.

There is quite a little village around the Spring. Soon after the hotel was built in , some of the stockholders built summer houses. A store and post-office were opened, some persons who liked the climate for summer, concluded to become permanent residents. A male academy was opened, and year after year there have been now and then additions. In an Episcopal church was built, and it is a great pleasure to church folks to find a pretty little consecrated house of prayer, with semi-monthly services, in which they may refresh their souls by the way.

Within the last few years the Presbyterians, too, have built a neat house of worship, which is regularly supplied with preaching. In the old days, before these places of prayer were built, visiting clergymen often preached in the hotel parlor; it was there that Dr. Thornwell, when quite a young man, preached for the first time his celebrated sermon on The Judgment, knocking the candle out of the candle-stick in one of his fervid gestures.

A good string band discoursed music for the accommodation of the dancers. Youth and beauty chased time with flying feet. Beneath the shadow of the oaks, hearts were lost and won, and the silvery moon inspired poetic effusions now and then. Here are some verses written the summer of by a boy poet:


O, wilt thou, when thou'rt far away,
At thine own peaceful, beauteous home,
When thou art happy, bright and gay,
With not one darksome hour of gloom,
Think of the lonely poet-boy,
Who never, never will forget
That brightest hour of greatest joy—
The night when first we met.

When on life's stormy ocean tossed,
When all is dark and drear as night,
Thy prayers will save him almost ost,
And make his lonely pathway bright.
Then, Mary, wilt thou think of me,
And, Mary, canst thou e'er forget
That brightest hour of all to me,
The night when first we met!

Mary was a beautiful blonde, the rhymer, William M. Martin, the first martyr of the Confederate war. He died from illness incurred in camp life, the first Southern soldier who lost his life. He and Mary belong to the land of shadows.

The season of was the most brilliant that Glenn's Spring ever knew. There was at one time that summer, tabernacled in hotel cottages and private houses, a thousand visitors. Driving, games and dancing gave pastime to pleasure seekers, as freely as the spring ran water for the invalids. Little recked the young and gay how many would fall in battle; how soon sorrow and suspense was to throw a pall over the bright panorama.

Since the war, in spite of the fact that Glenn's Spring is not on a railroad, and has only a country market to rely upon, the old resort has still a good patronage.

A new feature of the place is the Bottling House. This is established at the spring. The demand for the water is steadily increasing, and it is shipped in case of one and two dozen quart bottles, east and west. The water is also kept on draught in many of the principal Southern cities.

One word in conclusion, to those who drink Glenn's Spring water: Be temperate in all things, may apply even to water drinking. Take one or more tumblersfull before breakfast, not more. After breakfast, if you are able, go to the spring, sit in the pavilion, and drink as much as you conveniently can. During the afternoon and night drink moderately of the water. At the end of three weeks for a few days, drink less, then resume full rations. This advice is based on the observation of years, by a medical man of the first order of talent, and it is confirmed by two practitioners of Spartanburg, who have been familiar with the effects of the water from boyhood, and have for years watched its therapeutic action from a scientific standpoint.

Glenn Springs numbers its patrons by the hundred in every County in this State, and the pictures herewith presented will be familiar to many of our readers who have experienced the pleasures of a visit to this popular resort, so charmingly portrayed by Mrs. Means. Those contemplating a trip for health or pleasure, during the coming summer, should not fail to arrange for a part of the time at Glenn Springs, especially if they have not been there before.

, The Watchman and Southron

The article is inconsistent in using Glenn's Spring or Glenn Springs at different points.


Sensation at Glenn Springs.

Spartanburg Herald.

A sensational rumor was current yesterday. Last year Mr. Williams, of New York, came to Glenn Springs. He is reported wealthy. He returned this summer, and last week was married to Miss Florence Smith, an estimable young lady of Glenn Springs. Yesterday a woman arrived here with an infant in her arms, claiming to be his wife. She followed him to Glenn's and a stormy interview followed. It is said that she failed to establish her marriage and yesterday morning she returned to this city.

, The Herland


No Typhoid Fever at Glenn Spring

The Columbia Record publishes the following with a disclaimer of any thought of injuring Glenn Springs, in making the statement quoted, when announcing the sad death of two ladies of Columbia. The facts, it is said, are, that Mr. Sims' country place is unhealthy and his family had been sick before going to Glenn's. Also that the young ladies did not drink the mineral water while there:

Glenn Springs, S. C., Sept. 4, 1890.

EDITOR RECORD — In your paper of the 1st inst., in announcing the sad death of Miss Sims, you make the following statement:

The deceased young ladies, it will be remembered, had just returned home after spending the summer at Glenn Springs, when their fatal illness began. Some investigation as to the cause of their sudden illness of typhoid fever has been made, and it is reported that when they first arrived at Glenn Springs they were placed in a room in which a person had died of malignant typhoid fever only a few days before.

If this is so it shows what terrible results will follow from carelessness.

This statement is not true, and is damaging to Glenn Springs and to ourselves personally, and we beg that you will publish this statement and the enclosed certificate from Dr. Smith.

During the twelve years that we have been running the Glenn Springs Hotel there has never been, in any of the rooms occupied by any of Capt Sims family, nor in any other room in the hotel or on the place a single case of typhoid fever, either brought here or originated here, nor has there, during the twelve years, been any death from any cause in any of the rooms occupied by Capt. Sims' family.

We deeply sympathize with Capt. Sims and his bereaved family.

Very respectfully yours,


Proprietors Glenn Springs.


Glenn Springs, S. C , Sept. 4, 1890

I hereby certify that I have practiced medicine at this place for the past twenty-five years. During this time there has been but three cases of typhoid fever at this place, and they were brought here. This last case was twelve years ago. In my opinion no case of typhoid fever has ever originated at this place. During that time there has been no death from any cause in the rooms occupied by Capt. Sims' family.



, The Watchman and Southron

1892, one of many illustrated adverts for the water

1896, colorful written advert

1900, Zimmerman and sons

1901, detailed writeup

1901, mention of "Glenn Springs German"

1901, press association and Glenn Springs German

1901, doings at Glenn Springs

1903, dance at resort

1903, promotional mention

1907, charming little promotional history


The Old-Time Resort of South Carolinians Being Made One of the Best Appointed and Most Attractive Resorts in the Palmetto State.

The legendary history of Glenn Springs reads like a romance, and is near replete with interesting tales of the olden times. Its discovery dates back to a period beyond the Revolutionary War, to a time when the Piedmont region of South Carolina was known as the backwoods of South Carolina. This spot was then a quagmire, deeply hidden in a large swamp and surrounded by a thick forest. Here wild animals would congregate and content in deadly conflict for a drink of its muddy waters. Finding their rendezvous, the red man, bow and arrow in hand, would secrete himself near by, and many a noble buck thus lost his life, while getting a new lease on it from the wonderful spring. Later, the location and the virtues of the springs were disclosed by the Indian to the white man, and from that time to the present the fame of its waters has steadily increased. In the property was bought of John. B. Glenn by a joint stock company, a large hotel was built and opened to visitors in . From that time to Glenn Springs was visited each summer by the most eminent men of this state by the Governor, United States Senators and Representatives, Judges and others, and thus became a sort of summer capital of South Carolina. Col. Wm. C. Preston, the silver-tongued orator, who always spent a part of each summer at Glenn Springs, one [sic] said: Ah, gentlemen! think you not Ponce de Leon made a mistake in his bearings! Had he come up higher, he might have found here the waters for which he searched?

Since the war Glenn Springs has been visited by pleasure and health seekers from all parts of the United States, and its water is now shipped to the principal cities of the country. The hotel is now ope for guests from June 1st to October 1st each years, and is patronized and ket full to overflowing by thousands of visitors from all parts of this and other States. In addition to the hotel proper there are about one-half dozen boarding houses which accommodate guests not only during the summer season, but are open during the entire year. It is the purpose of Glenn Springs Company to thoroughly equip the present hotel building with every modern appliance and install a heating plant so that this building may also be kept open for winter guests. Further, the company has under consideration the construction of a large modern winter hotel which will be specially furnished for winter tourists who seek health and recreation in Florida and other points further South.

This magnificent property will be made much more attractive to the people of Spartanburg as soon as the Glenn Springs Southern Railways has been built, as it is proposed to convert Glenn Springs Company's grounds into an ideal park and operate convenient and frequent schedules between Spartanburg and Glenn Springs. When these improvements shall have been made, Glenn Springs will become the veritable Fountain of Youth and its waters the true Elixir of Life.

, 23, The Gaffney Ledger

1930, funeral

1931, lengthy writeup

1931, a writeup on John King, an illustrious resident, and his family

1933, mention of season rates

1933, annual visitor to Glenn Springs

1933, death of Charles Zimmerman

1935, death of Charles Zimmerman

1935, mention of Glenn Springs

1936, mentions an ad in the Wall Street Journal

1938, John Zimmerman dies

John Lancaster dies,


SPARTANBURG, S.C., June 11. — (AP) — John A. P. (Squire) Lancaster, 85, former Spartanburg county magistrate and member of a pioneer family of this section, died yesterday at his home at Glenn Springs after a lingering illness.

Too young to enlist in the Confederate army at the outbreak of the War Between the States, Lancaster took an active part in the Ku Klux Klan's fight to restore responsible local and state government during the reconstruction period.

He is survived by his wife and 10 children. Among the children surviving is a daughter, Miss Claremont Lancaster, of Wilson, N. C.

, The Charlotte Observer

1939, comical mention

1941, detailed writeup after fire

1941, the fire hit the condemned and unoccupied hotel

1947, mention of Dupree Gregory

1947, book of pictures

1950, hotel man dies

1952, detailed writeup on Glenn Springs

1955, a short history

1955, ad for visitation

1957, reflections on mineral waters

1960, the historical association

1961, an in-depth writeup

1986, mention of Joretta

2002, writeup on trail

{{{h2}{Other places}}}

There was a Glenn Springs in New York,


Chicago, March 11. — A rope of pink pearls valued at $50,000 was stolen from Mrs. Robert F. Carr, Chicago society woman, while she was a guest of the Glenn Springs hotel, Watkins, N. Y., March 2, it became known today when Lloyd's Insurance agency offered a reward of $15,000. The necklace was said to consist of seventy-eight perfectly matched pearls.

, The Wilmington Morning Star

There were also quite a few Glenn Springs mentions from Texas.