Dere Castle, also transliterated as Derei or Deri, dates to the reign of Prince Muhammad (1813 - 1837 CE) who was a king of Rawanduz.
Located on a high hill in the rolling plains west of Permam Mountain, it has a strong exterior wall with slots for artillery. It still stands 1 - 6m high. It also has 5 rooms, a hall, a big yard (23 x 21.7m), and a water well. Some archaeologists believe it dates to the Assyrian era and that Prince Muhammad had it reconstructed.